Part 1 From Basic Literacy to Multiple Literacies
In this unit, we look at how understandings of literacy have evolved, and beyond it; what kind of multiple literacies are needed for people to thrive in their communities of the future.
Understand what literacy is, and reflect on some of the multiple literacies that are needed today for our communities to thrive.
- Adult Literacy: Glossary, UIS
- Community-based lifelong learning and adult education: adult skills and competencies for lifelong learning, UNESCO 2016
- The Plurality of literacy and its implications for policies and programmes: position paper, UNESCO 2004
- Understanding and defining literacy, Background paper prepared for the Education for All Global Monitoring Report 2006
- Literacy Rates Continue to Rise from One Generation to the Next, UNESCO Institute for Statistics Fact Sheet No. 45, Sept 2017
- Understanding literacy: a concept paper, UNESCO 2005